Monday, January 28, 2013

All I have left is this photo..


I walk into the house. It’s perfect. It has two stories and is open with plenty of room, but there is something funny about it. It is layered in a thick coating of dust. It hasn't been lived in for fifty years. I walk unconsciously down the wooden stairs. I somehow make it to the bedroom at the end of the basement. It still has black, grey, and pink strips painted thoughtfully on the wall. I walk onto the freshly put in carpets. The expensive carpet that covers the blood stains. Not even thinking anymore I open the closet; in the corner I see a photo.  The photo is of a family; 3 girls, a mom, and a dad. I flip to the back side of the photo. It’s from 2012, fifty years ago. This is the family who used to live in this house. They look happy, all wearing matching blue shirts.  “They look happy”, that thought echoes in my head.  I don’t know much about this family, only from what I've heard from people. They were active in their community and their church, always willing to help out anyone in need. This family is a legacy around here. Some even say they haunt this house waiting to take revenge on the next innocent home owner.

Luckily, I know the truth. It was the youngest daughter’s 17th birthday and the family was celebrating. Without any warning, two men broke into the large white house, one from the main entrance and one from the glass French doors. The family was drug apart and taken to each a separate room and duct taped to their beds. One by one they were slaughtered. Even to this day no one knows why.

That brings me back to her room, the birthday girls, supposedly the one who was murdered last. She almost escaped I once heard a lady say. This photo doesn’t tell the story of the murder though. It tells a completely different story. A happy story of a typical American family and that is how I want to remember them. Some people say they had it coming, that they deserved to die a miserable and young death. That’s why I moved into this house. I need to uncover the truth, but until then, all I have left is this photo.

5 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed this. I like how you hinted towards what happened at the beginning with the "new carpet that covered the blood stains." It makes you want to read more to figure out what happened. You put good detail in when describing your home. It's also interesting how you wrote the rumors about what actually happened. I really liked it, good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You kept me so interested to see where you would take this story. It was very well written to keep the reader wanting more. I thought it was quite creative how the person who found the picture wasn't a relative or anything. All in all I think you did a very good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought you did a really good job!!! I can tell that you took a lot of time to think of this whole story! I think you did a really good job of getting my attention really quickly! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The murder part caught me off guard. It was a very good surprise ending. You described your house very well in lots of detail. I also liked how the thought of them being happy echoed in your head.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This kept me really intreged! i couldnt stop reading. It was intense. You also were very descriptive and I love that in your writings. GREAT WORK!

    ReplyDelete