Tuesday, February 12, 2013

S.A.D.



                Flowers, chocolate, sugar cookies, flowers, teddy bears, hugs and kisses, jewelry and flowers. Did I mention flowers? All these objects have to do with one thing, a holiday. It’s a holiday that either a person loves or hates. It makes someone feel like they are on top of the world or are getting sucked into a black hole of doom. What could this most powerful important holiday be? Valentine’s Day, or as many of the less fortunate people of the world call it, Singles Awareness Day (S.A.D).

                This holiday all started out with a baby, but not just any baby, a baby that had wings and shot people with a bow and arrow of love and made the unsuspecting victim fall in love with the next person they saw. Yeah, I’m sure this actually happened in real life, not.

                Valentine’s Day is nonsense. First of all, it is over commercialized. It gives every company in the United States a reason to make their products pink and put hearts on them and sell them at an increased price. I suppose they are actually being smart about this. Americans are the foolish ones who buy these “romantic” products.

                This is also a huge waste of money! After Valentine’s Day a guy's wallet is five pounds lighter because they spend so much money on flowers, chocolate, and jewelry for their special someone. Also, 15% of women send flowers to themselves. Why? They waste their money and then watch the plant wilt and die. I really don’t think this would make me feel better about myself. Here’s another news flash, if someone really cares about their spouse or girlfriend/boyfriends they shouldn’t need a holiday to send them something. They think, “Here take these flowers .I had to get you these because of Valentine’s Day or else you would think I’m an insensitive boyfriend”.  If someone really loves you they should buy flowers out of the goodness of their heart, not because of a holiday.

                I propose that we stop celebrating Valentine’s Day all together! It would help men save their money and stop making people feel sorry for themselves. I think we are all of tired of dealing with the overpriced candy, busy restaurants, and crying people. The day Valentine’s Day gets taken off of the calendar will be the happiest day of my life, but until then I hope you all have a happy Singles Awareness Day!

5 comments:

  1. I could really tell your opinion about Valentine's Day! hahaha you obviously don't like it! Your writing was really strong and I appreciated the picture too! Good Job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with your idea of putting a stop to Valentine's Day. It's just a scam created by Hallmark haha. Your picture at the bottom was hilarious as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahaha. Your personality came out so much in this blog. The picture added a lot. It was very persuasive. I could feel your emotions in the writting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I honestly think I read this in your voice, I could just hear you saying this. You have such a strong personality and opinion on things and it shows here. You weren't afraid to say exactly what you felt which made this piece really strong. I enjoyed the chuckles this gave me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent tone and voice throughout this piece. I love that you address this topic. It is something that is relevant and that you have strong feelings about. You do it in a humorous way, but it effectively makes a point.

    ReplyDelete