Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Coach and Teacher?


Coach or Teacher?
High School is one of the most important parts of a person’s life. It prepares us for college and the work force. The education we get in high school can either make or break us. With so much riding on our education, I think that schools should be focused on preparing us for our future, but I believe they are focused on something completely different, athletics. Teachers are pushed to the back burner to make room for the more important adults, the coaches. Many coaches tend to be teacher because coaching alone isn’t a full time job. Every year well qualified and passionate teachers are overlooked for jobs because a school wants to hire a teacher that can also be a coach. If we have the best coach, we have the best sports team, therefore the best school.
I believe teachers should not be allowed to be coaches. Education needs to come first. This year more than half of my teachers are coaches. I have noticed that during their season the teachers sometimes seem less focused on teaching the lesson and come to school ill prepared. Our class is given tests or study halls coincidently the day after a game. When we ask why we have to take a test the teachers openly admit that they didn’t have time to prepare the next lesson. Yet, they expect the athletes to have time to study. If that isn’t a double standard, I don’t know what is. Shouldn’t teaching always come first? Isn’t a teacher’s job to teach?
            I do acknowledge that this isn’t always the teachers fault. I feel that the school puts a lot of pressure on them to be the best coach and teacher possible. There is only so much time in a day and I’m sure it is hard to get all this work done.  Although coaching shouldn’t come first, the fear of repercussions puts even more fear and pressure to always win.
 On a weekly basis my coach teachers have spent over 15 minutes talking about last night’s game with the interested students. Last time I checked sports has absolutely nothing to do with school work. 15 minutes of my time has just been wasted. I could have been taught new material to better prepare me for my future. Teachers are also often unable to teach their afternoon classes due to away games. I’m tired of feeling that I am getting shorted out. I am an athlete too and I realize that sports are important and it does teach lessons and builds character. But if we lose it won’t affect my whole life. If I don’t get to learn all my needed material because a teacher is tired from coaching, it will affect me. It could potentially cost me needed ACT and GPA points, which I need to get into college. That will affect me for the rest of my life.
I realize that I go to a public school, but this concept still seems unfair. It is not in the best interest of the students. I would love for the administration to comment on this and make their stance on the matter. I know some teachers are an exception to this blog and really do love teaching and coaching and do a wonderful job at both. I’m not trying to burn any bridges or direct this at anyone in particular, but I believe in my opinions and needed to make myself known.

4 comments:

  1. I support you 100% with your opinions! I love how strong your writing is! I also liked in the beginning when I wasn't sure where you were going to take this piece. You kept me interested and wanting more. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made really valid points here. I've noticed many of the same things you talked about. I know that sports have been really big these past few years and I feel like my education is getting impaired because of it. You had really good words, and don't forget that when you start a sentence off with a number, you should spell it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The was a strong piece with good ideas. I however disagree. It is my athletic side that was constantly kicking down your idea. By the end of the blog I actually began to believe your position. Props to you for that because I tend to be very bull headed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are passionate in your argument and provide several examples to support your opinion. That helps strengthen the validity of your argument. You do acknowledge the opposition which is imperative in writing argumentation. Your tone is also appropriate. You express your feelings in a mature way that isn't intended to demean, but rather to educate.

    ReplyDelete