Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Cheerleader


“It might be the last game of the season. Make sure to cheer loud and be prepared to lose your voice. Ready? Okay, let’s do this.”
“R-O-W-D-I-E that’s the way we spell rowdy, rowdy. Let’s get rowdy! Woo!”
Toe-touches, big bows, intense games, long nights, and McDonalds. This is what cheerleading is made of.
The seven month season is finally over. I am relieved, but heartbroken at the same time. I will no longer have to attend three hour long practices that consist of perfecting our school song, starting lineups, and sideline cheers. The bruises on my arms and ribs can finally heal from the stunts that didn’t go quite right. And the elementary school will no longer have to worry about me spilling paint all over their carpet every time I attempt to make a poster.
This was my first year being a cheerleader and I have learned so much! There is a lot more to cheerleading than meets the eye. It takes dedication, a positive attitude, and a lot of flexibility. Because of this sport, I have met six amazing girls. These are the other Beulah High School Cheerleaders, but I call them my best friends. We can trust one another and always have each other’s back. That’s the unique thing about cheering, unlike any other team where there is about 30 students stepping on each other to become a starter, our squad can only have a maximum of eight girls. No one thinks they are better than someone else. We support each other, because we understand each other.
The thought of cheering gives me butterflies. There is no other feeling like being in front of a crowd, the passion radiating off the players and the excitement bouncing from the crowd. It gets my adrenaline pumping so fast I feel like I’m going to explode! I take huge pride being on the sidelines cheering for the Beulah Miners. We will always be there to cheer and support the team, even if they lose the biggest game of the season. Cheerleaders are the team’s number one fan (well after the parents).
I know a lot of people don’t have enough respect for us. Some think we get annoying and are in the way of their view. Others may have the irrelevant opinion that what we do isn’t a sport. This year I have been disrespected at every single game I have cheered at. People, especially teenagers, have ripped our posters down, cursed at us, have told us that we look stupid, and even have thrown rocks at us.  This used to hurt my feelings, but it doesn’t anymore. I love what I do and nothing will change that.
 If you are one of those people who decide to talk bad about us or tell us to move, just remember that cheerleaders are part of the team they are cheering for. We aren’t going anywhere. We are at the game for the same reason you are, to cheer on the team. Criticizing us won’t make us disappear and it certainly won’t help the team win.

I think cheerleading is one of those things that someone doesn’t understand until they become one. Therefore not a lot of people understand us, and that’s okay. I just ask that you don’t criticize us before you get to know us. Cheerleading is my life. It’s made me a more confident and determined person.  I have made six amazing friends and some of the best memories of my life. I can’t wait to see what next season will bring, but I do know one thing for sure. I have no intentions of letting anyone ever dull my sparkle.

5 comments:

  1. I liked how you started this out with how much you like cheering, and ended in how you think that people need to respect the sport more. You did a good job of incorporating your feelings and your opinions. Good job, and keep up the good work:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved your post because it was so easy for me to relate to. I agree in your opinions as well (; Overall I just love how all of your pieces flow. It is easy to read and comprehend. I think you have a really strong sense in writing. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The way you put your emotions and feelings into this really helped make this piece stronger. This would be a really good start to the essay we're doing. Your thoughts went really well and the order you wrote your feelings in also made it really easy to understand your point. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe this was you best blog yet. You put a lot of big thoughts into a very condenced blog. I could feel your pride as I read the paper. There was so much more story betwen the lines of this writing it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very expressive piece. You show that you have put thought into this construction. Be careful of some over-emotional language (or maybe it is just incorrect word choice like irrelevant opinion), and proofread. Thanks for sharing something important to you. Honest writing.

    ReplyDelete