Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The 56th Session



 Tossing and turning. Tossing and turning. Just go to sleep, I think. Stop worrying. It’s 11, then 12, finally 1. It’s 1 o’clock in the morning and still I've had no sleep. Just tossing and turning. That’s it! I can’t take it anymore! I jump out of my bed and tiptoe upstairs to the computer. I just have to know. Shaking, I slowly type in my username and password for my g-mail account. This is the moment of truth. I click on the new email I knew would be waiting for me. Taking a deep breath I look at the message, “Congratulations”, it reads “You have been selected to represent Girl Scouts Dakota-Horizons at the 56th session of the commission on the Status of Women taking place February 24- March 2. I keep reading that sentence over and over again. Excitement creeps into my body, but so does panic. My heart is racing; my palms are damp with sweat. I am stunned with disbelief. I can’t believe they chose me.
The next months were a blur. Listening to webinars every Sunday evening, researching gender equality, packing my bags, and doing a weeks’ worth of homework didn't even faze me. My heart was in a permanent race. New York is all I could think about.
February 24, the day I was leaving, quickly came. I drove to school to take one final quiz and then I was on my way to the Bismarck airport. I've never even been on a plane and now I have to get on one and fly all the way to New York by myself. At least I would be able to meet the three other girls in Minneapolis. The flight was also free, so that’s always a bonus!
When I got off the plane three girls’ happy yet nervous faces greeted me. After introductions, we all silently walked to our next gate to fly to New York. On the plane I start talking to one of the girls, named Lorisa. She was from Webster, South Dakota. It turns out we have a lot in common! Our adviser then tells us we will be rooming together in the hotel. We couldn't be more excited!
Every day in New York brought us a new adventure. We got up at 4:30 each morning and were usually out the door by 6. We went to sessions, conferences, and caucuses at the United Nations and discussed how to improve gender equality. People really valued our opinions! None of us even cared that we didn't get to sight see in this grand city!
During this week, 5,000 people along with me changed. We were all from different parts of the world and at different stages of our lives.  We all learned through each other’s experiences and came to value each other’s culture. I gained a deeper respect towards women and learned that gender equality really is a serious problem in today’s society, especially in places outside of the United States.
Even though almost a year has passed since I've gone to this conference, not a day goes by when I don’t remember this incredible experience. I still keep in contact with many of the girls I met while in New York, and now call one of these girls my best friend. I can honestly say I will remember this journey forever. I want to wish CSW a happy 57th anniversary! Keep on changing lives, like I know you did to mine.

4 comments:

  1. This is a cool story. I really enjoyed the mystery of your introduction and the memory of how it exactly happened.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You had a good introduction. You used thoughts very well. The description throughout the blog was very vivid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your blogs are so descriptive, I can picture everything happening around you and visualize with you. I love your word choice as well. It is definatly planned out and carefully written! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very powerful piece of writing. Including your thoughts and vividly describing your experiences makes it easy for the reader to connect. My one suggestion is to use a different font. My eyes have a difficult time focusing on the words.

    ReplyDelete