Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Typical Crazy Stressful Busy Working Teenage Life


“Ring, Ring, Ring”

I can’t be late today. I just can’t, not again. I run out of the school doors straight for the parking lot. I have no choice but to ignore my friends’ waves of goodbye. I drive straight to Tesoro.  Sprinting to the bathroom I pull on my black pants and visor. I’m ready and it’s only… 3:35. Of course, I’m late. I ignore the glares of the day ladies as I walk into the tiny back of Subway and punch in.

Not only am I late, but I’m also hungry. No, more like starving. There is no chance that I will ever get to eat until the supper rush is over. Sometimes I don’t even get a break at all. I guess stealing pickles from the bane will have to suffice for now. The hours go by 4,5,6,7. Seriously! Does everybody have to eat at Subway today? There has been a line out the door for three hours! I feel like a robot.

“What can I get for you?” What kind of cheese?” “Would you like the works?

 I have all these phrases memorized. I know how to make every sub by heart. This job isn’t hard, but I just want to go home.

 I can’t stop thinking about the assignment that is due at 11:00 p.m. I need to submit it on time. My grade cannot go down. It’s now 9 p.m., then 10. How am I going to study for the history test and get all my algebra done? Finally, 10:30, closing time.  I’m leaving. I speed home to turn in my online assignment at 10:59. What a relief!  Now time to study and teach myself Algebra. At last 1 o’clock a.m…time for bed. I can’t wait to wake up and do it all over again tomorrow.

5 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I read this really fast due to the fast pace you wrote this in! You did a really good job explained how unhappy you were to be late, how hungry you were, and how you were worried about your schoolwork. Good job. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like how you were writing and how everything went by fast just like Katlyn said. Your personality is really captured through out this piece. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved the tone and speed of this piece! It completely describes the life of a working student! People always assume it is procrastination when assignments get submitted close to late; however, I have had many of those nights as well! (: I promise things will get crazier, but that is the fun of it. You adjust to the rust and speed of life. I really liked this piece! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the same struggles and I don't even work. I can't imagine how hectic your life must yet. I liked the rhythm of this story. I could feel the vigorous finger strokes that your keyboard was receiving as you wrote this. I hope that you get a break soon because you deserve one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kylie,
    I agree with your classmates: you did an excellent job with the pacing in this story. I felt the chaos and stress. I remember the long nights of studying and writing all too well. I wish I could say that life gets less crazy once you become an adult, but there will still be deadlines to meet and work to do. Maybe it is more of just learning to manage everything better.

    ReplyDelete