Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Foreign Exchange


Ever since I was a freshman in high school, my sisters have abandoned me for the college life. I have been left in Beulah as an only child. I did not like being alone. The house was too quiet and I had no one to help me with Algebra. Something must be done. Then came my first encounter a foreign exchange student. A girl from Thailand needed a home and I needed a new sister. Bingo! I just solved my problem! A girl named Bam moved in with us, and although we were completely different and two years apart, we were best friends. I was devastated when Bam moved away at the end of the school year. I was an only child again. I completed my sophomore year by myself, feeling like something was missing.
This year, I had my second encounter with the foreign exchange student program. Again, a girl from Germany needed a new family and I quickly offered to be her host sister. It took some convincing, but my parents finally agreed to become a host family again. As soon as Emy walked in the door, I knew we would get along great. As the news reporter said, “We connected faster than magnets.” Emy and I are practically the same person from different countries. We are always laughing and having an awesome time. She has become my best friend.
Being a host sister can be a lot of work. It can be a lot of pressure knowing that it is up to me if they have a positive or negative experience in America. But I know the pros outweigh the cons. I have grown as a person from hosting two foreign exchange students. I have a better sense of culture and have made a difference in two girl’s lives. I will never regret my decision to share my family and my high school years. I have gained two amazing friends! If anyone is thinking of hosting a foreign exchange student I would definitely recommend it.  It is an amazing opportunity that I wouldn’t change for the world!

5 comments:

  1. This was soo good! You did such a good job telling about your emotions. It would've been nice to maybe add some experiences that made this just one of the best things you've ever done. Talking about this is something you should do more often, it's such a great experience. I didn't even host Bam and getting to know her so well was just an experience in itself. I don't know Emy as well, but knowing her as much as I do now is unexplainable. Good job. (:

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awwwwwh! This was so cool! My family has debated becoming a host family and we always end up having our doubts! I hope that one day my family can experience something as memorable as this! You have very powerful writing and it seems intentional! Good job! (:

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the topic you chose. I would be extremely nervous about hosting a foreign exchange student. Luckily though, both of the girls you hosted turned out to be great friends. I think it would be very interesting to become a foreign exchange student, but scary.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this! I miss Bamm so much. The little bit that I got to know Emy made me really like her too. I think this would be such a cool experiece however my parents won't allow it. You did a good job of telling others to strive to get a foreign exchange student too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kylie, Nice personal piece with a persuasive touch. Make sure that you use the same tense when you are writing. You flipped from past to present to past again.

    ReplyDelete